The Secret World of Arrietty

Want to discuss something but don't feel like being General about it? We've got you covered~! Within is the place for all things entertainment, from the media side of things. Movies, Books, Games, Roleplaying Games, all are welcome here~

The Secret World of Arrietty

Postby Kris_Roth » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:27 pm

They are making an anime version of the Borrowers, called the Secret world of Ariiety.

The Borrowers are tiny people who "borrow" items from the house they are living in. The young human, Shawn (David Henrie) is visiting his Great Aunt at her house to recover from Rheumatic Feverdiscovers the female Borrower, Arrietty, (Bridgit Mendler) who explains why her family Borrow things, mostly for survival. It comes out in February 17. Sadly, it is not at my local theater.
Last edited by Kris_Roth on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kris_Roth
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Re: The World of Ariiety

Postby Harri-chan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:25 pm

This came out last summer here in the UK, and I bought the blu-ray a few weeks ago, and really, really like it, even though I'm not really a fan of Ghibli or anime in general. I also liked Ponyo though, so maybe they're onto something recently :)
Harri-chan
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Postby Zilla » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:31 pm

I thought you liked a decent amount of Studio Ghibli's stuff ^^;

Is this actually a straight-out port? Or is it just a very similar story?
Head of the Haven of Aeternalae forums. Now 80% less threatening, 150% more cute, and 200% more loving!:D
Zilla
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Kris_Roth » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:19 pm

Disney is making the movie, with the producers from Studio Ghibli (who brought you Ponyo). The young protagonist hears of tales of little people called the Borrowers from his grandmother. He does not believe in these little people until items like sugar cubes and his grandmother's sewing thimble, thread, and needles come up missing. He eventually meets one of these female Borrowers, who explains why she and her family borrow stuff from the house.
Kris_Roth
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Harri-chan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:59 pm

Zilla wrote:I thought you liked a decent amount of Studio Ghibli's stuff ^^;

Is this actually a straight-out port? Or is it just a very similar story?

Well, there's probably more that I don't like than I do... and I haven't actually ever seen The Borrowers so can't say how close it sticks to that.
Harri-chan
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Postby Kris_Roth » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:28 pm

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/the-secre ... -arrietty/

The writer of the children's book, "The Borrowers" is one of the writers for The World of Arrietty. Arrietty is 14, and the human boy who befriends her is 12.
Kris_Roth
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Kris_Roth » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Carol Burnett will be voicing the main antagonist, Hara, the housekeeper of the house where Arrietty, her father, Pod (voiced by Will Arnett), and mother (voiced by Amy Poehler) live under the floorboards. Arrietty is excited her father, Pod, will allow her to go on a borrowing mission at night for the first time, despite the mother's warnings. Arrietty must battle bugs and the resident house cat, as well as to be careful about hiding from the Beans (the humans in the house). Hara captures Arrietty's mother when Arrietty's mother sneaks out to get sugar cubes and discovers Hara has planted a trap for the little people. Spiller, a Borrower who helps Arrietty and Sho rescue her mother, is voiced by Moises Arias (Rico from Hannah Montana).
Last edited by Kris_Roth on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kris_Roth
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Harri-chan » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:38 pm

Along with getting so many facts wrong, you're totally spoiling the plot for anyone who hasn't seen it yet...
Harri-chan
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Return to Anime, Manga, and Games (Oh My!)