Dragonball Z Kai

Want to discuss something but don't feel like being General about it? We've got you covered~! Within is the place for all things entertainment, from the media side of things. Movies, Books, Games, Roleplaying Games, all are welcome here~

Dragonball Z Kai

Postby Kris_Roth » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:37 am

I have been enjoying the Dragonball Z kai series. They are up to the Saiyan Saga, with the arrival of Nappa and Vegeta. They introduced the vicious Saibamen, and I am waiting next week to see how they do the "It's over 9000!" episode. They have 2 episodes, back to back, on the CW4Kids.It is a Columbus, OH affiliate where I live.

Mr. Popo is blue? Really? He is black in the original manga. He was edited as blue to be a genie, as that is what he is. He is a servant of Kami, and later Dende, who serve as Earth's guardian.

They edited out all the blood and cut out the fillers and got some of the original voice actors like Sean Schemmel (Goku and King Kai) and Christopher Sabat (Piccolo, Vegeta, and Yamcha), as well as Sonny Strait (Krillin) to voice their characters they did in the original DBZ series. These voice actors also did voice work for the DBZ Budokai video games.
Kris_Roth
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Re: Dragonball Z Kai

Postby Maiden Miki » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:51 pm

The things you are seeing on 4Kids TV are only CW4Kids TV edits that were asked for that Funimation Entertainment had to do if they wanted to air the show on your channel. If you ever have the chance to watch it on Nicktoons or buy the DVDs then Mr. Popo is still black as he was for the original DBZ anime. There are some cuts done for the Nicktoons TV running but not as bad on what you see on CW4Kids TV. Some blood is cut out but not as much from what I can tell. The DVDs are uncut and unedited.

I haven't been watching DBZKai on TV. It is nice that kids are being able to watch it but I would have appreciate if they did things differently. Still I had no idea Mr. Popo was a genie. Learn something new everyday.
Maiden Miki
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Location: Luffy is punching me in the face, while Eneru is laughing about it

Postby Kris_Roth » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:36 pm

Yeah, I guess so. Mr. Popo can create food for Goku and his friends while they are training and he is Kami's servant. Kami fuses with Piccolo, and it is revealed that Kami is the good side of the Namekian Piccolo, spawn of the evil King Piccolo.
Kris_Roth
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby KonokoHasano » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:42 am

Yeah, Mr. Popo is an immortal genie bound to the lookout for eternity, acting as the gardener and caretaker. Not only having served Kami, but also every other guardian in the past before Kami.

As Miki said, the series run on Nicktoons TV has just a few cuts here and there, mostly for blood. Just recently, the episode where Frieza gets cut in half by his own energy disk aired. They kind of did a sloppy job with the editing, but it's understandable as to why they edited that part.
Jump up and fly!
My characters
KonokoHasano
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Postby Maiden Miki » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:04 pm

Oh? So that is the Freeza edit I been seeing around. It is a bit sloppy in how they try to make Freeze drag out that no. If it didn't have that then I would say it was okay.
Maiden Miki
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Kris_Roth » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:56 pm

Any word on how they do with the arrival of the Ginyu Force? Captain Ginyu switching bodies with Goku and later a frog, thanks to Goku, and later the Namekian frog/Ginyu meets Bulma and she creates some translation device, and Ginyu switches bodies with Bulma.

The Ginyu Force are a 5 member sentai group, made up of Guldo (froglike alien), Recoome (big Bruiser guy), Burter (Blue alien, super fast), Jeice (red skinned, white hair, speaks with an Australian accent) , and their leader, Captain Ginyu (the purple alien with horns).
Kris_Roth
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Maiden Miki » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:39 am

Kris_Roth wrote:Any word on how they do with the arrival of the Ginyu Force? Captain Ginyu switching bodies with Goku and later a frog, thanks to Goku, and later the Namekian frog/Ginyu meets Bulma and she creates some translation device, and Ginyu switches bodies with Bulma.

The Ginyu Force are a 5 member sentai group, made up of Guldo (froglike alien), Recoome (big Bruiser guy), Burter (Blue alien, super fast), Jeice (red skinned, white hair, speaks with an Australian accent) , and their leader, Captain Ginyu (the purple alien with horns).

I heard the Ginyu Force was good. Nothing major as in edits for them what I heard. The voice actor for the green skin one (Can't remember his name but I do remember he transform into something really ugly(Starts off pretty then turns ugly to become powerful)) was changed from the original dub but this new guy is good and I am not saying that with bias because I like this newer voice actor personally. haha
Maiden Miki
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Kris_Roth » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:56 am

He is one of Frieza's henchmen, Zarbon. Bulma had a crush on him, but he transformed into his monster form to face Vegeta. Dooridia is the pink alien guy, and Cui was the 1st alien Vegeta encountered after being revived.

Chris Sabat (who voices Piccolo and Vegeta) is the head voice director on DBZ Kai. They got all the original voice actors back, like Sonny Strait (Krillin), Mike McFarland (Master Roshi and Yarljobe the Samurai) and Sean Schemmel (Goku and King Kai),

Oh, they are going to have Magi-Nation, the anime series next week at 7am on CW4Kids.
Kris_Roth
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Maiden Miki » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:40 pm

They didn't get all the original voices back to dub the characters. Chris Ayres is doing to voice for Freeza for DBZKai, Colleen Clickenbeard for Gohan and J. Micheal Tatum is voicing Zarbon (That's his name!).

Maybe I record that. 7am is too early for me haha.
Maiden Miki
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby KonokoHasano » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:34 am

I like Frieza's new dub voice a lot better than the older one, honestly. XD
Jump up and fly!
My characters
KonokoHasano
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Postby Kris_Roth » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:02 pm

They are up to "Suprise! Goku is Ginyu and Ginyu is Goku!" episode, where Captain Ginyu switches bodies with Goku. Vegeta kills Jeice, and Krillin and Gohan fight ginyu (in Goku's body). Next episodes are tommorrow morning at 10Am and at 10:30AM, where Goku gets his body back, Ginyu becomes a frog, and Goku prepares to face off against Frieza. Also, Vegeta takes Gohan and Krillin to get some Saiyan body armor, and they unlock the power of the Namekian dragon, Porunga, to wish Piccolo back to life and to Namek. Piccolo fuses with Nail, Elder Namek Guru's bodyguard. Dende uses his healing powers the Elder Namek Guru unlocked to heal Vegeta so he can help deal with Frieza, but ultimately, Goku powers up to Super Saiyan after Krillin gets pierced by Frieza's horns (I think frieza has about 4 forms as an Icer.)

I wonder how they plan to do the Ginyu/frog switching bodies with Bulma? Of course, I heard that in the unedited version, Ginyu was wanting to check out Bulma's body, much to Bulma's protests. The translator was removed and destroyed so Bulma's protests while in the frog body were expressed by ribbits. Somehow, Ginyu attempts to swap with Piccolo, but Gohan saves the day by throwing Bulma/Frog into the change beam, getting her body back from Ginyu.

So, far, I like the episodes. You can catch them on Youtube, along with the abridged series, done by team 4Star.

The narrator for the DBZKai show voices Captain Ginyu.
The lady who voices Chi Chi voiced Mitzi on Crayon Shin-chan (Shin's mother).
Kris_Roth
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Kris_Roth » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:57 am

Got to see Ginyu swap bodies with Bulma to check out the epic battle with Frieza and Goku. This coming Saturday, Piccolo becomes a target of Ginyu's body swap plan, but Gohan throws the frog (Bulma) into the body swap beam, saving his mentor and Bulma. Then, the 2nd episode, Goku transforms into a Super Saiyan!
Kris_Roth
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Return to Anime, Manga, and Games (Oh My!)