Dennō Senshi Porygon

Want to discuss something but don't feel like being General about it? We've got you covered~! Within is the place for all things entertainment, from the media side of things. Movies, Books, Games, Roleplaying Games, all are welcome here~

Dennō Senshi Porygon

Postby Kris_Roth » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:05 pm

Today is the anniversary of the seizure-inducing Pokemon =episode (the one banned in America and in the Guiness Book of World Records). On December 16, 1997, the Japanese Pokemon episode "Dennō Senshi Porygon," premiered in Japan. This episode was banned in America after over 600 Japanese kids had to go to the hospital after experiencing seizure-like symptoms. The scene in question is when Ash/Satoshi orders Pikachu to use Thunderbolt on the Porygon in Cyberspace, where the three main protagonists Ash, Misty, and Brock go into cyberspace to get the Porygon that Team Rocket (James, Jessie, and Meowth) stole from the scientist.

This has been parodied by Ling Ling (a parody of Pikachu) in Comedy Central's Drawn Together, whose goals are world domination and to cause kids to have seizures, South Park's Chimpikomon episode (Kenny has seizures and dies), and in the Simpsons (Bart and family go to Japan) after Lisa sees the similarities of a new Laundry detergent character/spokesman Mr. Sparkle and her father, Homer. Bart and family watch some Japanese anime show, featuring Giant robots and start having seizures after Lisa asks if this is the show that causes seizures. Everyone, even Homer has seizures. The anime show they watch is called "Giant Seizure Robots."
Kris_Roth
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Re: Dennō Senshi Porygon

Postby KonokoHasano » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:56 am

Wow, I didn't even think about it being the anniversary of that episode o,O
Jump up and fly!
My characters
KonokoHasano
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Postby Maiden Miki » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:22 am

A blogger that I follow brought up a funny point.

Because of this episode, Porygon and his evolutions seem to have been banned from TV. Though the reason why the seizures happen was because PIKACHU was the one who fired the Thunderbolt that caused the bright flashing lights. Not Porygon but yet this pink and blue pokemon got the boot.

Here is more about what I am trying to say. Read under 'Effects on Pokemon - Bye Bye Porygon' part of the post.

Now excuse me as I celebrate late by watching this episode. haha
Maiden Miki
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Location: Luffy is punching me in the face, while Eneru is laughing about it

Postby KonokoHasano » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:41 am

Well, you couldn't do away with the star of the anime, now could you? Porygon was the scapegoat, despite having nothing to do with it.
Jump up and fly!
My characters
KonokoHasano
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Postby Maiden Miki » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:24 pm

Yes they can!

Though if you read that post you can also see that the Pikachu Goodbye episode was the first episode to show after it. haha
Maiden Miki
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Location: Luffy is punching me in the face, while Eneru is laughing about it

Return to Anime, Manga, and Games (Oh My!)