Inception

Want to discuss something but don't feel like being General about it? We've got you covered~! Within is the place for all things entertainment, from the media side of things. Movies, Books, Games, Roleplaying Games, all are welcome here~

Inception

Postby Helel » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:57 am

So, I hadn't had the chance to talk about this movie before I went and had my surgery, but hoo boy, this movie is one of the rare few this summer that's actually good. While I'll refrain from saying it's the best, most mindnumbing, brainhurting, etc. movie ever (because it's not) it does contain various elements that make it a balanced, good movie to watch.

The basic gist of the movie itself is that a band of dream diving thieves have been given a job to go into a young CEO's mind and rather than steal an idea, they are to implant one (called inception, conveniently) in his mind instead. Through all the challenges that Inception presents by itself, the protagonist of the movie has his own demons that haunt him, and threaten the job that he and his buddies have been given. It's an action packed, crazy little ride of a movie, so I recommend it for anyone that wants a good action movie to watch that isn't all guns and explosions (though there's a fair bit of that as well).
Helel
Hisho
Hisho

Re: Inception

Postby Harri-chan » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:10 pm

I came out of it thinking it was easily the best film I'd seen in the last few years, but my opinion has gone down a little in the last couple of weeks. It's good, really good infact, but it's also not quite as clever as it wants to be. Certainly worth the price of a cinema ticket though. Most of the cast give great performances, and there's plenty to keep you thinking about it and talking about it long after it's over.
Harri-chan
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Postby Helel » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:01 am

Ickle Harri-chan wrote:I came out of it thinking it was easily the best film I'd seen in the last few years, but my opinion has gone down a little in the last couple of weeks. It's good, really good infact, but it's also not quite as clever as it wants to be. Certainly worth the price of a cinema ticket though. Most of the cast give great performances, and there's plenty to keep you thinking about it and talking about it long after it's over.

Most definitely. A lot of reviews have basically said what you just said, but the basic gist is that the movie is worth seeing.
Helel
Hisho
Hisho

Postby Kasu » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:19 pm

Oh my god, this movie. So much fun, such a good movie, but me and my friends have been throwing theories about the ending back and forth and we have yet to come to a consensus.
Highlight for our theories! (WARNING: MASSIVE SPOILERS)
So, the theories are:
1) The top falls at the end, and he's back in reality.
2) The top doesn't fall, and he's still in a dream/limbo.
3) The top falls, but he's still in limbo. Since he's the only one down there, he's the dreamer and has unconsciously recreated the world. The whole point of the totem was to know if you're in somebody else's dream, but it's useless if it's your own.
4) He never left the dreaming room in Mombasa. We never really know what happened there 'cause all we saw was a few flashes and him abruptly waking up. Who's to say he's not still dreaming after all of that?
5) The whole thing is Saito's dream, and he's just a magnificent bastard manipulating everybody. Somehow.
6) Everybody's a timelord- wait, no.

But, all in all, theories aside, it was one of the most enjoyable movies I've watched (and rewatched). Highly recommended.
And now my post has ended.

Fear is the mind killer!
Current themesong: Greatest Fear (Moral Fibre Retool) by Renard
Kasu
Forum Browser
Forum Browser

Postby Zilla » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:16 pm

Definitely worth seeing. I agree though that it's not as neat as it could have been, mostly because I felt like the dreams were more mundane than they ought to have been. They really could have played with impossible landscapes and stuff a lot more, and... I dunno about you guys, but I rarely have dreams as mundane as the ones they had.
Head of the Haven of Aeternalae forums. Now 80% less threatening, 150% more cute, and 200% more loving!:D
Zilla
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Return to Anime, Manga, and Games (Oh My!)