Kick-Ass

Want to discuss something but don't feel like being General about it? We've got you covered~! Within is the place for all things entertainment, from the media side of things. Movies, Books, Games, Roleplaying Games, all are welcome here~

Kick-Ass

Postby Harri-chan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:26 am

Last edited by Harri-chan on Wed May 26, 2010 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harri-chan
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Re: Kick-Ass

Postby Zoey » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:22 am

Im planning on seeing it with some friends soon hopefully.

Its style reminds me of Zombie Land, or atleast from what I've seen in the trailers. Can't wait to see it.
"Let me confirm, your shelter shield is activated?"
"What are you planning?!"
"Your shelter is secure, is it?"
"Of course it is! Just see for yourself how powerless you are!"
"...Roger that."
Zoey
MSF Addict
MSF Addict

Postby Kris_Roth » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:39 am

Yeah, Hit Girl was so funny. So, is this a spoof of superheroes or something? Red Mist, Hit Girl, Big Daddy, and Kick-Ass are the new superheroes. I mean, the bad guys have actual guns and bullets that can kill you. Do they have kevlar armor like Batman?
Kris_Roth
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Postby Harri-chan » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:58 am

It's not strictly a spoof, but does poke fun at a lot of the typical super hero cliches. Mark Millar was writing the comic, and ended up talking to film director Matthew Vaughn, making suggestions for the Thor film Vaughn was meant to be directing. That version of Thor got dropped, but Vaughn was so impressed with Millar's ideas, he asked if there was anything else they could work on together, so he told him about Kick-Ass. They began working on the film when the comic was still being written.

All the studios refused to fund it unless they cut things such as Hit Girl, which Vaughn refused to do as it was Hit Girl's arrival in the comic that made him love it, so he raised the money himself, and then sold it to one of the studios that turned them down, for more money than they'd wanted to make it in the first place.

They don't real have powers (but there's a few jokes about that, such as Kick-Ass being invisible to girls, ie, they ignore him), and that's partly what the film is about. Can't anyone become a super hero?
Harri-chan
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Postby Kris_Roth » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:42 pm

Yeah, they had the back story of Mindy/Hit Girl, and her father is played by Nicholas Cage, who was a cop framed by the main antagonist. Now, instead of giving his daughter dolls and whatever a pre-teen girl usually gets, she gets some weapons from her father, and is quizzed on their names and uses.
Kris_Roth
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Return to Anime, Manga, and Games (Oh My!)