Kampfer

Want to discuss something but don't feel like being General about it? We've got you covered~! Within is the place for all things entertainment, from the media side of things. Movies, Books, Games, Roleplaying Games, all are welcome here~

Kampfer

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:51 am

(There's a tag marking where the spoiler begins, below. Too bad we don't have that thing that hides spoilers in special fields until clicked.)

I swore that there was already a topic for this series. Oh, well.

For those of you who don't know, it's a harem anime (supposedly a comedy, but I'm not amused) where people are chosen as special fighters called Kampfers. (It's also a manga, but I made this topic because of the anime.) The story follows a guy that has been so chosen, who, whenever he assumes his Kampfer role, becomes a girl. Because Kampfers have to be girls, for some reason. Their purpose is to fight each other and, of course, a part of the story is in regard to figuring out why that is.

Anyway, with the latest episode, it just killed suspension of disbelief. Which isn't too surprising, since the harem genre tends to turn common sense onto its head to make it possible for a guy to be loved by many gals... just like a reader/watcher might fantasize for themselves.

[Spoiler]

In the episode in question, the male protagonist manages to do the following: one, when taken on a date by a girl, who continues to call it a date throughout the day, assumes that they're doing something else (drawing out the enemy) despite said girl never suggesting that they were, and their activities never suggesting that they were. Two, he doesn't know why another girl would be angry with him when she thinks that he had gone on a date with said girl. And, three, he doesn't know why yet another girl would be happy for being able to go on a date with him, despite the topic of conversation that preceded it (what kind of girl he likes).

[End spoiler]

HeyZeus on a stick. Dense just doesn't stretch far enough to cover for that kind of ignorance. It'd be one thing if the comedy element were ridiculous and nonsensical, but it's not. It appears that the harem element has afflicted the male protagonist with mental retardation that somehow only applies to his understanding of girls, even though he'd probably understand the simple concepts involved if he had engaged another guy regarding such subjects.

Typical.

Man. We finally get a sex-change anime, one that had the potential to be a decent addition to a very, very short line of sex-change anime, and it's cursed to have this harem crap. I wish said harem crap would immolate itself and jump in front of a truck hauling high explosives. And then be crushed by the moon from Majora's Mask, just for kicks.
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Re: Kampfer

Postby Lioconvoy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:27 pm

Finally saw Ep eight? The manga's better or at least so far, we'll see though.

I haven't much cared for the anime from the start just because things seemed out of order or flowed too fast. Some Animes really ruin the series they're based on.
The White Lion, still the same since May 20, 2003
Lioconvoy
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:30 pm

"Finally" saw it? Seeing it within the first twenty-four hours of being released as an English sub is by no means late. O.o;

I was hoping that the anime wouldn't turn out too bad, but... I swear that the harem genre is just about the worst thing that plagues anime, these days. For one, it doesn't have a hard time ruining two major genres: drama and comedy. Romance isn't spoken for, since those who like the harem genre will likely contend that the romance is adequate. Poor romance.

I wish I could burn all of the tissue boxes that belong to the audience that perpetuates this evil. :evil:
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Lioconvoy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:47 pm

Tissue boxes? Who'd be crying over something like Kampher. I haven't seen a single tearful momnet. Just really stupid ones.

The last few eps were released on Saturday rather than Sunday.
Lioconvoy
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:29 pm

Lioconvoy wrote:Tissue boxes? Who'd be crying over something like Kampher. I haven't seen a single tearful momnet. Just really stupid ones.

You don't know what I'm talking about? Well, maybe it's better that way. I'll leave some of your innocence alone. ;p

The last few eps were released on Saturday rather than Sunday.[/color]

I watched it Saturday night, before I went to bed. I watched Nyan koi today, though. Now I just need to wait for Needless.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Lioconvoy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:54 pm

Really you're going to do that for once? Thank you.
Lioconvoy
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Queen Octavia » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:14 pm

The tissues are for making paper airplanes with, obviously.

Paper airplanes which carry all our hopes and dreams for a great TG anime... Only to flutter, gyre and crash rather pathetically.

Or, in a picture: http://i46.tinypic.com/kbwwwn.jpg
Queen Octavia
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Lioconvoy » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:33 pm

That picture is in the Manga too, but it's like a bonus picture rather than what the story is built around.
Lioconvoy
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Kether » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:42 pm

Actually the logic of the protagonist is clearly developed by the newspaper reporter. She didn't believe its a date because there's no way the super attractive Rich, School president would date a guy like him. So clearly she heard wrong.

The protagonist has already dropped the possibility of it being a real date because he knows A that he's not good enough, and B that she is the manipulative type. So his mind jumps to the only logical reason for the date in his mind. Unfortunately missing all other manipulative possiblities including "getting his partner to shoot him"

Because of his self esteem he can't grasp that the other girls are attracted to him. Its completely outside his world view. He can't possibly believe they want him so he comes up with other reasons why they act the way they do, or is confused by it.

The fact that he lives alone and goes to a school with a berlin wall style separation of the sexes probably hasn't helped his grasp of interplay between the sexes. That neither of the two girls he trusts will tell him anything is what limits him.
"I'M MALFEAS I CAN DO WHAT I WANT
WHATEVER I'VE GOT AM GONNA FLAUNT!
THERE'S NEVER BEEN A ROCK OFF THAT I'VE EVER LOST!"
Kether
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:16 pm

I think it's more a matter of common sense, no matter what his self-esteem might be. That reasoning mostly tries to explain one of the three scenarios, and though it sounds good it's very weak. For one, if it were a matter of manipulation, he wouldn't have thought that she was actually trying to work together with him for the benefit of both the red and blue kampfers, to take care of a common enemy. He's just assuming that that was her idea, not a manipulation, because it can't be a manipulation if he's got it into his head (and out of nowhere, I might add) that the date is a cover. And whenever she insists it's a date, he doesn't reject the idea because of feelings of inadequacy, but because he can't believe her. It's only her past behavior, in not being straightforward, and in messing around with him, that makes him respond the way that he does. But, after one date-related thing after another, all the while she's insisting that it's a date, and he doesn't even consider the possibility? That's out-of-the-park retarded.

And self-esteem has nothing to do with the other two girls, at all. He might as well be a drooling, grinning idiot in a catatonic state, he's so dense. It's all in the context, all of which in a language made quite clear, and he somehow didn't get it. He doesn't think or act like it couldn't be possible because of inadequacy, or else we would have already seen him question himself time and time again, especially concerning the only girl he really cares about (and is trying to pursue, despite his shyness, not inadequacy). If his conversation with Akane afterward is any indication, with the kind of topic and question that he covered, both unabashedly and seriously, there's no way that he can have a self-esteem problem in this area. He even said, to her face, that after Sakura she was the next kind of girl that he would prefer. And self-esteem has nothing to do with the fact that he didn't know why Akane would be happy about "arranging" that date with him. Like, duh. She's a girl. He's a guy. The girl is taking the initiative in setting up the date and she's happy about it. He might as well not have a brain at all. Seriously.

As for the newspaper girl, her perspective on the matter doesn't, well, matter. Sure, Mr. Idiot may think that someone like the school president wouldn't be interested in him, but it had no bearing on the situation in question. He's ignorant beyond belief, and completely made up a possible reason for the school president to take him on a date. I mean, why manipulate him for something like that? He even thought it was a good idea to not be subtle about it, to plan and prepare for a fight, because it'd be wiser to do be open about it. And it would have been, if it hadn't been based purely on his imagination.

That elephant should have been catapulted. ;/
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Kether » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:21 pm

Clearly you've never been invited on a Fake date to mock said person
"I'M MALFEAS I CAN DO WHAT I WANT
WHATEVER I'VE GOT AM GONNA FLAUNT!
THERE'S NEVER BEEN A ROCK OFF THAT I'VE EVER LOST!"
Kether
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:31 pm

So now what you've said before somehow equates to a fake date, and that's also supposed to counter my argument... how? Even if it's some kind of new argument, it's still irrelevant to what happened. If he were concerned about something like that, because he had low self-esteem and figured that someone of that high of a stature would do that to him, he wouldn't have concluded that the "date" meant "cover" for a planned fight. Which just proves my point: he's an idiot of the Nth degree.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Lioconvoy » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:52 pm

He seems a bit smarter in the manga, but I guess well find out next chapter because it was at the end of the current one that his friend said she like him and noticed Akane liked him.
Lioconvoy
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:55 pm

Yeah, I'm crossing my fingers for the manga. At least I'm preferring the latest kampfer as being on the red team, than having a white team so Natsuru's childhood friend joins the red team. Though she may end up joining the red team, anyway. Who knows. We'll have to wait and see.

Personally, I'd find it funny if Sakura was a moderator and the rule about kampfers having to be girls is due to her being a lesbian. :P
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Lioconvoy » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:03 pm

I don't think she's the Modorator, but I guess we'll she, as for his friend she ends up a Kamper anyway. Likely on the side she ends up on in the anime. As I said the Anime is just faster, but many things still end up happening judging by the pics in the light novels.
Lioconvoy
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Next

Return to Anime, Manga, and Games (Oh My!)