Borderlands

Want to discuss something but don't feel like being General about it? We've got you covered~! Within is the place for all things entertainment, from the media side of things. Movies, Books, Games, Roleplaying Games, all are welcome here~

Borderlands

Postby Knight Errant » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:23 am

I just got this game on the release date. It is... well... freaking awesome.

Its hard to describe, since it is a mash between a FPS shooter and an RPG. You have classes, level up, put points in skills, but most of your time will be spent comparing the randomly generated stats of the BAZILLION guns the game offers you.

The guns are really the foundation of the game. There are classes, pistols, SMG's, assault rifles, and such. But guns in each category can vary TREMENDOUSLY. You might find a pistol that has increased magazine size and fires like an uzi. Or one that has a scope, a small magazine, fires slowly, but is very powerful and fires explosive rounds. There are so many variables that almost no two guns are the same. So you can end up picking and choosing what you want for your personal preference and current situation.

Also each gun has a corporation label. These are kind of guidelines that most guns fall into. Some corporations make guns with large ammo clips, others like Maliwan make only guns with added elemental damage. And if you ever find a gun made by the Atlas corporation... hold onto it... because it will be awesome in every way possible.

But to get the full amount of fun out of this game, you need at least one friend to play with you. Soloing it can and is fun, but the fun increases exponentially with each friend you play it with. You can have up to four, and with splitscreen you can have all four in the same room.

In the end, it might not be for everyone. But I quickly fell in love with its black comedy, futuristic other planet wasteland setting, and goofy characters. And the guns. The guns are friggin awesome.
O Muse!
Sing in me, and through me tell the story
Of that man skilled in all the ways of contending,
A wanderer, harried for years on end...

Image Image

Click the eggs... feed the dragons.
Knight Errant
Fuku Fanatic
Fuku Fanatic

Re: Borderlands

Postby Stray-chan » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:58 am

I'm looking forward to this game, and will get the PC version at some point. I'd get it on release day if I wasn't saving up for Dragon Age: Origins. I like the idea of the whole manufacture's label thing. A very interesting way to convey the nature of the bonuses on the weapon in the name that fits the fact it's a gun and not magical.
Stray-chan and Lost Wanderer are different people now! Yay!
Catgirl-maid Lost
Stray-chan
Proponent of Disorder
Proponent of Disorder

Postby Knight Errant » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:16 am

Yes, it is a nice touch. So far the only Atlas gun I have is a shotgun. It only holds two shots, but it is so insanely powerful and accurate that I can blow someone's head off a mile away with it. And for those beefy characters with oodles of HP that like meleeing? Heh... its over. I've done critical hits on bosses with upwards of 3000 damage.

Of course that was on Skagzilla... and the Atlas was a desperation move. I did not want to close range something that looked like it can and wanted to swallow me in one gulp. And even WITH the insane criticals it took many more shots to down.

But in the end, it DID go down. Thank you, Atlas.
O Muse!

Image Image

Knight Errant
Fuku Fanatic
Fuku Fanatic

Postby Stray-chan » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:57 am

Nice. Sounds like quite a game.
Catgirl-maid Lost
Stray-chan
Proponent of Disorder
Proponent of Disorder

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:06 am

An FPS RPG... Sounds odd, but interesting. And, yet, not for the Wii. SIGH.

Also: shouldn't this be in Video Games? *Blinks*
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Knight Errant » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:16 am

Empyrean Nikkou wrote:An FPS RPG... Sounds odd, but interesting. And, yet, not for the Wii. SIGH.

It is interesting, and...

Curse the new order of the forums I havent gotten used to STILL. I completely missed the video games section. I just clicked on entertainment from the index and made a thread.
O Muse!

Image Image

Knight Errant
Fuku Fanatic
Fuku Fanatic

Postby Helel » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:42 pm

Knight Errant wrote:
Empyrean Nikkou wrote:An FPS RPG... Sounds odd, but interesting. And, yet, not for the Wii. SIGH.

It is interesting, and...

Curse the new order of the forums I havent gotten used to STILL. I completely missed the video games section. I just clicked on entertainment from the index and made a thread.

Fixed. :o
Helel
Hisho
Hisho

Postby muffinstud » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:01 pm

I'm also getting it on PC. Perhaps we could co-op some time, Stray-chan. Or is it still Lost? Whatever.

Anyways, the game looks like it's a blast, but what is really dragging me in is the character and fun that the whole thing seems to have. They could have kept with the old art style and made it look like another Gears of War clone, but no. It's a vibrant, colorful game that reminds me of how games used to be. That, and it has a sick sense of humor. Prime examples of this are in the "behind the scenes" clips that the studio did. I submit them to you for your approval.

Just a warning, there's an age check for a reason.
Episode 1
Episode 2
"Well, you'll have plenty of time to live in a van down by the river, when you're living...in a van down by the river!" --Matt Foley, motivational speaker
muffinstud
Postmonger
Postmonger

Postby Harri-chan » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:03 pm

*Captures Muffin*
Harri-chan
Dux Muffinium
Dux Muffinium

Postby Sam » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:08 pm

I'm still unsure about whether or not I want to get this game or wait for Modern Warfare 2 to come out. Both games look equally awesome to me
chocolate is the key to our survival, but someone doomed us all by eating it

Leader of the Muffinville Illuminati
Sam
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Stray-chan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:24 am

muffinstud wrote:I'm also getting it on PC. Perhaps we could co-op some time, Stray-chan. Or is it still Lost? Whatever.

Anyways, the game looks like it's a blast, but what is really dragging me in is the character and fun that the whole thing seems to have. They could have kept with the old art style and made it look like another Gears of War clone, but no. It's a vibrant, colorful game that reminds me of how games used to be. That, and it has a sick sense of humor. Prime examples of this are in the "behind the scenes" clips that the studio did. I submit them to you for your approval.

Yeah, the style is awesome. I remember reading in PC Gamer about how the game got delayed quite a bit when the designers decided they didn't like the Real is Brown direction they had been going in. A delay well worth making, it seems.

I'll respond to both Lost and Stray-chan, outside the Muffin Room. Call me whichever you prefer.
Catgirl-maid Lost
Stray-chan
Proponent of Disorder
Proponent of Disorder

Postby Xia » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:23 pm

its on my list of things to get for my xbox

Modern Warfare 2, Forza 3, Borderlands, and others...~
~Between Sanity and Madness lies Genius
Between Genius and Madness I come~
Xia
Sensei
Sensei

Postby muffinstud » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:54 pm

Thanks to this game...I have even less of a life than usual.

Even with the broken PC multiplayer, it's a blast to play. If anyone wants a level 50 friend to help power level or just to throw some orange level items at you, pm me and I'll send you my ID so we can chum it up. Heck, if you wanna play a new character, I'll do that with you too. Just...don't expect me to play a Hunter for you. Can't stand Mordecai.

I need friends. Pleeeeease!

PS: I'm setting up my Brick so when he's level 50, he'll have EVERY sidequest available at the end of playthrough 2. That's right. Level 51 Mothrakk, Skagzilla, and everything else, anyone?
"Well, you'll have plenty of time to live in a van down by the river, when you're living...in a van down by the river!" --Matt Foley, motivational speaker
muffinstud
Postmonger
Postmonger

Postby Just some lady » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:47 pm

Heheheh. ^^ I dun suppose there's any way of connecting up via a PS3 version if I got it~?
Just some lady
Hisho
Hisho

Postby ashuros » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:29 am

I just picked the 360 version yesterday and so far i really like it, love the elemental weaponry.
ashuros
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Return to Anime, Manga, and Games (Oh My!)