District 9

Want to discuss something but don't feel like being General about it? We've got you covered~! Within is the place for all things entertainment, from the media side of things. Movies, Books, Games, Roleplaying Games, all are welcome here~

District 9

Postby muffinstud » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:51 pm

Go see it. Seriously.

I would have gladly paid 15 bucks to have sat through this film. I will watch it again, and soon.

Even if you aren't a fan of Science Fiction, you need to see this film. I know I sound like a fanboy or some kind of adrenaline junkie, but this could seriously be the Casablanca of our generation.

Watch it, watch it now, and be happier because of it.
"Well, you'll have plenty of time to live in a van down by the river, when you're living...in a van down by the river!" --Matt Foley, motivational speaker
muffinstud
Postmonger
Postmonger

Re: District 9

Postby Nosnits » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:54 pm

It's really good? I saw the trailer and thought it was one of those movies that seems good, maybe, from what it's about, but I thought it would follow up with a crappy, not well executed movie. You sure you didn't walk into Casablanca by mistake?
Hey, you! No...not you....You! Go ---> HERE <--- to red the drabbles of stuff I've written, or ---> HERE <--- to see both my doodles AND writing. Double dip right there.

Knit the scarf. Ride the ogre.
Nosnits
Spaminator
Spaminator

Postby muffinstud » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:23 pm

It's good. Let me give a bit of analysis.

Any science fiction film or book has one giant hurdle to overcome. No matter how good the story, how endearing or intricate the characters, this one hurdle is common to every single piece of science fiction ever made. You see, every sci-fi story has some element that to our current society is completely impossible. Be it the marauding martians from War of the Worlds to the "Little Cricket" gun from Men in Black, there is always something impossible in these stories. The hurdle is making the audience believe it's possible.

District 9 clears this hurdle by a mile. You see, it's filmed like a documentary. It uses stock footage from real riots that happened in Johannesburg a few years ago. Every interview shot, every action scene is filmed by professional cameramen on scene. This style lends the viewer to not only think that this could happen, but that it may already have. You just happened to miss those particular news casts. At times the action is frenetic and choppy, but you know it's like that because the cameraman is on shaky ground. Couple this device with the moral and humanitarian conundrums the film deals with, and you soon find that you yourself are mulling those very issues over in your mind. Because you weren't watching a film, you were at the scene of a wondrous event that changed your perspective on human rights.

That is, at least, if you were paying attention to anything that wasn't getting blown up. People say there's humor in this movie. I only laughed at the ridiculously awesome butt-whooping in the final act. Maybe you'll see something I missed though.
"Well, you'll have plenty of time to live in a van down by the river, when you're living...in a van down by the river!" --Matt Foley, motivational speaker
muffinstud
Postmonger
Postmonger

Postby Sam » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:08 am

Just got back from seeing it. It is not only the best film of the summer but also the most badass film of the entire year. Everyone who is reading this and hasn't seen it should go see it really soon because it's freaking awesome.
chocolate is the key to our survival, but someone doomed us all by eating it

Leader of the Muffinville Illuminati
Sam
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby ZeroForever » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:22 pm

I'll have to give positive opinion, very good movie. To lazy to write up a in depth review, if anything just check the IMDB reviews as some people have rather comprehensive ones.
the anti-thesis of myself... come see, feel, know the truth beyond truths it'll just cost your soul.....
Overlords+Magic+Tropes=TF TG and flying jigglypuffs... among other things
ZeroForever
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Stray-chan » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:50 am

I saw it last night and I agree, it's an amazing film. I was kind of hoping/expecting the whole thing would be in documentary/news cast/security camera footage format, but given where they went with it, that wouldn't have worked.
Stray-chan and Lost Wanderer are different people now! Yay!
Catgirl-maid Lost
Stray-chan
Proponent of Disorder
Proponent of Disorder

Postby dervivaire » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:17 pm

Hmmm, I will have to take a look at this film :D This thread has got me interested :P
Diamonds may fall at eventide
But we’re still waiting for
Their light to shine
Diamonds fall at Eventide
But we still watch for
Celestial brides
dervivaire
Idle MSFer
Idle MSFer

Postby Just some lady » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:22 am

^^ Just got back from seeing this--it was pretty enjoyable overall, though the violence got to silly levels by the end it seemed to me~
Just some lady
Hisho
Hisho

Postby Alexis » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:25 am

Its sadly realistic..
"Don't believe in yourself, believe in the Unconquered Sun who believes in you"
Alexis
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Just some lady » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:34 am

Well~~really my qualms was with some of the alien weaponry, kinda--I mean, it seemed a bit over the top a li'l bit, especially with all the blood continually splattering into the camera. ^^ Mind you, for the most part throughout the movie it was quite well-done I thought, so this is only a minor complaint.
Just some lady
Hisho
Hisho

Postby Alexis » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:29 am

that's because they were left over from the halo Movie that fell through..
"Don't believe in yourself, believe in the Unconquered Sun who believes in you"
Alexis
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Jello Shot Mischa » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:27 am

Admittedly, the electricity guns strained by suspension of disbelief -- I know enough about directed-energy weapons to know that they really wouldn't cause people to just explode like that. XD

Beyond that, though, I found it a great movie. I want the soundtrack...
Jello Shot Mischa
Crazy MSFer
Crazy MSFer

Return to Anime, Manga, and Games (Oh My!)