This Season's Series

Want to discuss something but don't feel like being General about it? We've got you covered~! Within is the place for all things entertainment, from the media side of things. Movies, Books, Games, Roleplaying Games, all are welcome here~

This Season's Series

Postby Kolonel Kaplice » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:38 pm

We have a number of unique and/or terrible series this season, so lets start down the list.

Basquash: Giant robots shaped like retro cars playing basketball. They're also piloted by what seems to be 15ish year old kids. The concept makes me want to cringe. So why is it good? Seriously. Best show so far, it has no right to be this good with a concept so terrible. Somewhat Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagannesque in terms of the general logic and fanservice level. Nicely paced, beautiful animation, overall A+

Queen's Blade: Let us never speak of this again. Moving on.

Sengoku BASARA: Date Masamune has a horse with exhaust pipes? I'd be lying if I understood why, but I like the show anyway. Just surreal and parodyish enough to keep me interested for now. B- B

Examurai Sengoku: Samurai from the future get sent back in time, or something. Based off some Japanese J-pop group or something. I'm ignoring this one.

Phantom: Japanese tourist gets brainwashed into becoming an assassin. Nicely done, I really liked the OVAs, so I'll keep an eye on this.

Natsu no Arashi: Time travel hijinks and jalepeno strawberries. Not much else happened.

FMA: Its, well, FMA.

Guin Saga: He-Man with a leapord mask. There's something odd about this imagery. That said, it seems to be quite bad to the point of being amusing. I might be wrong. Supposedly it's based off of a very long series of novels that's quite popular, so it might end up being good. I sincerely doubt it.

Shangri-La: I'm not quite sure what this show is about. I think I've liked it so far, but I'm not quite sure. Its not necessarily hard to follow, just a bit, well, I'm not quite sure why its so hard for me to pin this one down.

Asura Cryin: Giant robots, schoolgirls, occultists, demons, moe. Nothing unique, but not bad either.

East of Eden: Jason Bourne runs around town totally naked. No, seriously. He has a handgun and runs right past the white house. Quite amusing so far, even if I have no clue where the plot's going. I think it's got a good shot at being the top anime this season.

07-Ghost - Nigh incomprehensible. If it follows the manga everything should make sense somewhere around episode 7 or 8. The art's not half as good as the manga though.

Slap-Up Party Arad Senki: Everything about the anime aside from voice actors was outsourced. On a completely unrelated note, it seems to be a bad Slayers wannabe.

Tears to Tiara: Not much happened. Damsel in Distress A got kidnapped by evil overlord B to summon demon king#5. It's not bad, kind of UtawarerorormomonoIcan'tspellthistitle-esque

Anything I missed? Disagree with what I have to say? Amused by the godly wit of my comments? Lets start some discussion people.
Loving Wife to Dracos?... Or was that Medea... Mendo maybe.... Someone's loving wife!

Self-Appointed Spammaster Rank Other as of whenever!
Kolonel Kaplice
Forum Browser
Forum Browser

Re: This Season's Series

Postby Alexis » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:49 pm

The queen's blade AIM speak dub is hilarious?
"Don't believe in yourself, believe in the Unconquered Sun who believes in you"
Alexis
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Kolonel Kaplice » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:00 pm

That... May actually be worth watching.
Loving Wife to Dracos?... Or was that Medea... Mendo maybe.... Someone's loving wife!

Self-Appointed Spammaster Rank Other as of whenever!
Kolonel Kaplice
Forum Browser
Forum Browser

Postby ZeroForever » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:16 pm

few others you missed
Hayate season 2 is out.

K-on!, still have to watch it but suppose to be the lucky star/haruhi type anime of the season, aka popular loli girls with comedic and pop references and music.

Valkyria Chronicles - 1st eps was decent, the game was amazing though so it's on my watch list.

Pandora Hearts, Hatsukoi Limited, Higepiyo, other random stuff that i still haven't watched at all so i have no real context to tell you what there about.

Sengoku BASARA - based on a capcom fighting game if that's any indication of what you should expect.

Basquash - decent first eps... honestly like you said the concept and mecha are so lame it hurts but they presented it well.

to lazy right now for the others.
the anti-thesis of myself... come see, feel, know the truth beyond truths it'll just cost your soul.....
Overlords+Magic+Tropes=TF TG and flying jigglypuffs... among other things
ZeroForever
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Return to Anime, Manga, and Games (Oh My!)