Tales of the Abyss

Want to discuss something but don't feel like being General about it? We've got you covered~! Within is the place for all things entertainment, from the media side of things. Movies, Books, Games, Roleplaying Games, all are welcome here~

Tales of the Abyss

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:03 am

Well, I can say that it was a decent game. The plot didn't really do anything for me, and it got corny, but the characterization wasn't bad. It also had plenty of extra stuff to do, and it took me 125 hours to finish. (I prefer long games.) I liked the whole Capacity Core and AD Skill thing, and taking advantage of a fonon field is kind of fun. The battle system was acceptable, but, again, I didn't care much about the camera. (I wish they'd add an option to make the distance fixed, so I can see most of the field.)

The funny thing is that I stuck with the game primarily because of Natalia, even though I didn't care much about her character. I really enjoyed using her weapon in battle, a bow, even though there weren't much in the way of arte attacks. Still, it was a challenge to use it against a number of enemies (small, moderately-mobile, high-flying, and especially any combination of those in a single enemy), but her range often helps to move the camera back so I can see more of the field. And she also has some healing skills, which come in handy when the de facto healer is preoccupied or unable to cover everyone. (Which I found interesting, since I'm the type that finds the job of a healer boring. But it was more of an auxiliary role, rather than a dependent one, so it didn't become boring. It was fun to juggle fighting with a bow and providing recovery.)

I'm contemplating playing the game a second time, but I don't know if I'd be able to make it before Natalia joins. XD;;
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Re: Tales of the Abyss

Postby Garath the Shadowshifter » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:16 am

Pfft, your crazy. The story to this game was AMAZING! So many times I'd just get caught up in what was going on and what made it even better was I didn't forsee it comming.

Course it's also because I think Jade is downright awsome. :P

Though I played as Luke and Luke alone during gameplay. Unless the game forced me to use someone else.
This Party's Getting CRAZY! LET'S ROCK!!
Garath the Shadowshifter
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:22 am

I'm just more jaded than you, is all. I've experienced this sort of story before so it wasn't really new. The whole "I'm still me" story seems common enough these days. Everything else was just a new spin on how the world is in danger. Granted, the replicas were a nice touch, but touched upon very briefly, overall. And the forces that drove things in the direction that they went were very typical.

Speaking of Jade, however, I must agree. I kind of figured you'd like him. He seems more like the central figure of the game than Luke, but that's just me. Following Luke was old hat; Jade would have been more interesting. Especially since he can be difficult to read, rather than an open book.

I decided against using a swordsman since that got old and boring; I didn't want the experience to be the same old thing. I needed something different, so it didn't feel like I might as well be playing another Tales game over again. Using Jade's spear was a bit awkward for me, and he seemed better qualified as an offensive mage than a front-line fighter. Anise is actually kind of fun to use, but a big target is a big target... And the AI defends better than I can. ^^; Natalia is a flexible enough character, and a challenge for me to use, so I went with her. And her catalyst weapon is the sort of design that I favor. ;p
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Garath the Shadowshifter » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:52 am

One of the other things about the 'Tales' games is how the characters interact, and that's the main thing that got me hooked. I generally liked Luke's "Growth"

I mean I'm a fairly patient person, but he was even getting on MY nerves a bit before 'a certain event' that I'm sure you can guess.

But otherwise I just love the characters of this game. Jade is flat out amazing, Guy's aversion to females is funny, Anise is cute and just awsome XD, Mieu is adorable (yeah I said it. I can't help but LOVE it when I use his fire and he says "Fire!" It's just so CUTE >_<), Tear is a very nice herione, and one that's not seen often, I even liked Ion a lot.

Natallia is just kinda 'there' to me, but I didn't hate her, she just didn't have the same presience of the others. These characters together, and the way the interacted is what truely makes this game for me. The same kinda thing happens a bit with Tales of Vesperia, though it's story while very good just isn't getting me quite as much as Abyss did.

I really should finish up my 2nd playthrough of Abyss. I'm right at where you have to 'turn off' the gates. Pretty close to the end.
This Party's Getting CRAZY! LET'S ROCK!!
Garath the Shadowshifter
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Return to Anime, Manga, and Games (Oh My!)