Stardust

Want to discuss something but don't feel like being General about it? We've got you covered~! Within is the place for all things entertainment, from the media side of things. Movies, Books, Games, Roleplaying Games, all are welcome here~

Stardust

Postby Duck » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:45 pm

Picked this up the other day, and man what can I say? This is just a charming movie.

Based off the book by Neil Gaiman with pictures by Charless Vess. It's a very unique kind of movie. Very surreal at times, as most stuff involving Gaiman (look at Mirror Mask, most people didn't). But it's one of the few genuine fantasy movies. It doesn't rely on huge battles, or even huge huge names (sure Deniro's in it, but he's not as big in it as you'd expect. And Michelle Phifer too, but she's the bad guy, and no longer a huge draw) but it really relies on it's story.

Our story revolves around young Tristan, a shop boy who has a heritage completely unknown to him, swears to bring a falling star to the girl he loves. He goes to get the star, but only finds our heroine Vane (Played by Claire Danes whom we haven't seen in a long time) and no star. There's a good reason, Vane IS the star. So Tristan is going to bring Vane home, to win his lady love's heart.

In the background there's a quest for a throne by betraying princes, and of course three witches who want Vane's heart to keep them young. So he has to bring her past all that, and only a pirate captain named Shakespear (played by Deniro, and is completely unlike how you'd expect) helps them along the way.

Now, this really isn't an adventure movie, it's honestly a romance. You grow to like Tristan and Vane, and their chemistry is just fantastic. The minor characters are even very well built up, and the villians even better. It's got a great ammount of humor and action.

I really can't suggest this movie enough. And yes, it even has some tf (man to goat, goat to man) and tg (guy to barmaid). so.. look into it.
Accessories

Shonen Ai Badger Badge
ANCEINT GOLD YAOI MANGA

my comic (not updated in a bit)
http://www.drunkduck.com/Art_table_of_Duck/

My DA account
http://theduckofanime.deviantart.com/
Duck
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Re: Stardust

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:06 pm

I'm just a really jaded person, so I couldn't really get into it. Technically I can say that it was put together well, at least, even though I haven't read the book. It just seems to have enough information to not require reading a book and all of the events come together smoothly enough.

I did like the appearance of the unicorn, of course. Although I was disappointed about the role it played in regard to Tristan. But I guess you can't expect everything to follow the lore, can you?
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Re: Stardust

Postby Nylena » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:45 am

Lore can be a Bore

I love this movie and I was quite upset that it only got such a mediocre DVD release. I feel the exact same way about the DVD of Stranger Than fiction. I hope that, in time, Stardust will become as beloved as The Princess Bride.

"The guard at the wall beat me up."
"Tristan, he's 97 years old!"
"Well then, he's had a lot of time to practice, hasn't he?"
"Dragon Lady takes you by the heart
Try to run but before you start
Dragon Lady's got you by the heart
Dragon Lady takes you by the heart
The Dragon Lady's got you
And she won't let go...." - Blue Oyster Cult
Nylena
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Return to Anime, Manga, and Games (Oh My!)