New MSF Site!

Announcements about this site and others.

Re: New MSF Site!

Postby Moonlit Naiad » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:10 am

Loremistress Eirien wrote:
Moonlit Naiad wrote:Though, the way mine work... or at least the way I set them up... they're a bit different than Yumi's since I've not the graphical ability to work special images for them.

She didn't do them dynamically through the looks of it...

Incidentally, I noted that you actually refresh the page rather than having the refresh link just rewrite the HTML inline... Given how rare browsers are that DON'T support getElementById(), it might be a little bit cooler to just go in and use DOM to go in and fix the texts.

Not generated dynamically, but she had special images either made or found to 'enhance' the look of the page (such as the countdown time on her video game fighter one).

As for the DOM stuff, that's really a bit outta my league, I think. I'm still putzing around with a nearly ten-year old basic html knowledge with rudimentary php/css/js picked up here and there (looked up when I need, each time), and an awful lot of copy-paste from previously made items.

I'm willing to learn, though, especially if it gives a performance boost to it. A refresh/reload is sending it as a hit to the server each time, which it doesn't really need to have to keep track of, if all that is handled client-side, the re-rendering of the page... that'd make a server happier than having several dozen-to-hundred people all refresh the same page several dozen-to-hundred times after it's loaded and announced... ^^;;;
*POOF* Problem Solved.

星空ARRANGE
Moonlit Naiad
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Postby Loremistress Eirien » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:29 pm

Here Autumn, I've updated the VG 'changing room' and uploaded it to MSF, using DOM events rather than having to rewrite the entire page. Granted, I could probably have done it a bit simpler, but I HOPE that this is a bit cleaner. The changes I made to the script should be commented. Mostly:
  • The HTML has been made into an actual HTML template above the script.
  • The randomized random texts of gen1 were made into eval()-able strings so that randomization would continue to work.
  • The main generator became its own function.
  • Because of that, the two functions that required values from the once global 'you' variable now had to have it passed in.
  • One of the classes was turned into an ID, because it was only used once and needed to be used as an ID anyway.
  • The refresh link no longer uses the javascript URI, but instead has its action appended on at change-generation time as an onclick.
  • The generation function is called after the window finishes loading.
  • The specification of the variables in the actual HTML is based on the names of properties of the you variable, for metaprogramming reasons. If a property does not have a corresponding holder in the template, the script won't work.
  • Array values are specified as IDs such that the value of array[0] maps to the element with id 'array_0'
Loremistress Eirien
Sensei
Sensei

Postby Rowan » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:31 pm

Nice! ^___^

Blue on Blue is kinda hard to read but its great! ^__^ Any plans to add the other 2 back?
"Just because you're a brain dead ditzy cutesy violet girl, and generally non-dangerous, doesn't mean you can't be effective."

"Resistance is futi....fut....futi....umm....what's the word? Nevermind! Just eat the Tomapple!"
Rowan
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Loremistress Eirien » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:24 pm

Rowan wrote:Nice! ^___^

Blue on Blue is kinda hard to read but its great! ^__^ Any plans to add the other 2 back?

Add them back? How about make them better? The one posted is actually one of Autumn's rather than the old RPG based one you might be thinking of.
Loremistress Eirien
Sensei
Sensei

Postby Rowan » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:44 pm

Aha, cool.

^___^

Upgrades are usually good, unless Microsoft has a hand in it hehehe.
"Just because you're a brain dead ditzy cutesy violet girl, and generally non-dangerous, doesn't mean you can't be effective."

"Resistance is futi....fut....futi....umm....what's the word? Nevermind! Just eat the Tomapple!"
Rowan
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Moonlit Naiad » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:19 pm

<<moved to PM due to jargon>> :p
*POOF* Problem Solved.

星空ARRANGE
Moonlit Naiad
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Postby Loremistress Eirien » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:41 pm

Rowan wrote:Aha, cool.

^___^

Upgrades are usually good, unless Microsoft has a hand in it hehehe.

Made on a Mac, so no Microsoft involved :)
Loremistress Eirien
Sensei
Sensei

Postby Rowan » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:51 pm

Is the website gonna stay in blog-form or is it gonna be a real website again eventually?

Rowan
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Lucky » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:52 pm

I'm not sure if I like this blog-style new site or not. (I like sites like joystiq that ues it. But for MSF? I just don't know.) I'm going to give it a chance thow, and keep a open mind.
Lucky
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Cutey Kerina » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:08 pm

Too generic right now. Needs distinctive modifications. I expect and hope it'll look a little less generic soon.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v340/Majorkerina/ Kashimashi here in "Zappy Manga"
"I'm begging you. Establish context before you start talking." - Kyon
Cutey Kerina
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Loremistress Eirien » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:24 pm

Well, the hope is that it appears much more 'integrated' soon. I certainly don't think the blog-approach is wrong (after all, the old site still featured news and such on the front page). It's just that we don't have an overarching design that unifies the site yet. This goes along with having the forums actually look non-default.
Loremistress Eirien
Sensei
Sensei

Postby Loremistress Eirien » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:41 pm

I've moved the discussion on the Changing Room Programming Library to the Stories forum, since there's really not a catch-all MSF Creativity Forum, and there probably should be.

Paraphrased important stuff:

- Despite crummy appearance, the Changing Rooms are being ported to the new library/site.
- Not mentioned: RPG Gurl has been ported. Video Vixens is all that's left.
Loremistress Eirien
Sensei
Sensei

Postby Rowan » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:42 pm

YAY!

*Glomps Eirien*

That's great! I'm excited to see how the site looks when its all done.

Rowan
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Moonlit Naiad » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:08 pm

Loremistress Eirien wrote:I've moved the discussion on the Changing Room Programming Library to the Stories forum, since there's really not a catch-all MSF Creativity Forum, and there probably should be.

Actually, if others hop on board with making generators/changing rooms - especially once libcirce and libcirce_base are finished, tested, then they may be spun off into their own subforum under creative corner - but a catch-all does sound like a good idea.

And to keep this somewhat relevant to the news forum, I'll note that I finished v1.0 of the January gen today. Only one catalyst instead of the four I planned, but I may see about working on another of the catalysts this coming weekend.

--

I imagine Eirien will post here when it's up on the site.

edit: Here it is #1 of a series of should be 12, at one a month this year.

Just a note though, it assumes that the transformee is being shoved across the zappy line, so changes are all either male-to-female or female-to-male. And while I know there's interest in same-sex transformations, if I try to do everything at once, nothing gets done.

Those who do like the female-to-male type zappy, I'd appreciate feedback on that portion of it -- haven't done too much relating to it in stuffs before.
*POOF* Problem Solved.

星空ARRANGE
Moonlit Naiad
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Postby Musashi » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:35 am

Okay, tried out the FtM-side several times. :D

I thought it was pretty darn good! It was fun to read the different descriptions. Though I was wondering about the hair a bit... I kept getting pigtails. I dun think boys wear pigtails very much, ne? :o Not that they shouldn't~ But I don't think it's very common. ^^;
I seemed to get pigtails or girl-from-behind hair very often, so I guess the thing I'd recommend is maybe a few more hair options?

But overall, yeah, it's spifferific! *Sparkly thumbs-up!*
Item 1: ShounenAi Badger Badge
2: God of Bishounenkind Badge
3: FtM Badge

"Yer so funny in a harmlessly psychotic way ;-p" - Coru-moose

"You're like a ninja ferret on crack." - Zack

Dubbed "Moon Master" by Kata
Musashi
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

PreviousNext

Return to News